Oh, no…!

Though we bookbinders do our best to deliver sound and beautiful bindings there’s always the possibility of things going wrong: a new material might behave in an unexpected way, an accident might occur or -most likely- we’ll make mistakes…

In this case a few months ago, I miscalculated a couple of things and as a result the cover wouldn’t open properly. I had to remove the endpapers, sand very carefully and paste new ones. I went in expecting I’d probably have to rebind the whole thing. Turned out fine in the end.

One of the things I’ve learned through the years is that knowing how to correct your mistakes has great value. Being able to do so without compromising the structure and function of a binding means you don’t have to start over everytime something goes wrong. It’s as much of a skill as learning to do it right in the first place.